07 March 2008

3.07.08

Easter Bunny... As I was eating my Cinnamon Toast Crunch today, I saw this scary picture of the Easter Bunny and it looks to me as though the easter bunny is going to eat this poor child. What makes this pic so significant is the fact that my sister also pointed out its scariness and a co-worker mentioned that it should be a scan of the day. Well, here it is.... In all of its spookiness. This should bring up the topic of the easter bunny. I remember a neighbor friend told me (when were younger) that she had seen a three-eared easter bunny in her basement the night before Easter... From that day forward I knew there was something not right about the easter bunny. What does the easter bunny stand for? or signify? and why does he/she hide eggs? Why do the hollow chocolate one's taste like wax?

2 comments:

The Jeff Bylund Family said...

I was thinking that the other day. I think it would make more sense for it to be an easter chicken or duck, because of the eggs. OR... it would make more sense to be an easter lamb, because of the symbolism. However, I could not explain to myself the significance of the bunny.

Sheryl Matthews said...

Per my research:

-In English, the word "Easter" etymologically comes from an ancient pagan goddess of the spring named Eostre, related to German Ostara. According to a popular piece of folklore, Eostre once saved a bird whose wings had frozen during the winter by turning it into a rabbit. Because the rabbit had once been a bird, it could still lay eggs, and that rabbit became the modern Easter Bunny.

-Eggs, like rabbits and hares, are fertility symbols of extreme antiquity; since birds lay eggs and rabbits and hares give birth (to large litters) in the early spring, these became symbols of the rising fertility of the earth at the Vernal (Spring) Equinox.

*Note: The Spring Equinox is relevant because it determines the date of Easter Sunday each year. Easter is the first Sunday following the first full moon following the Spring Equinox (March 20). Also interesting, This is the first year since 1818 that Easter has been on March 23, and it will not come this early again for another 220 years.