19 July 2008

7.19.08

Britney Challenge (Week 3)... I know what you're thinking... Kyle, you are still doing this stupid challenge? The answer is yes. This album comes with great confusion:

First, The album, Baby One More Time states that her loneliness is killing her.
Second, The album, Oops! I Did It Again states that she is stronger without anyone.
Third, This album, Britney states that she is a slave?? ... BUT then two tracks later she rationalizes again, that she is not lonely....and then again states that she can't live without boys in the track "boys."

No wonder Britney has the issues that she has. She can't even decide who or what she is or what she wants to be and makes that pretty clear in the song, "I'm Not a Girl, Not Yet a Woman." Oh, well.

This album is completely different from the previous two albums. It included some good tracks that I became equally sick of due to over listening:

I'm A Slave 4 U (I love when pop artists replace words with numbers, I think it really highlights their creativity...This song also includes some slurred lyrics that I still can't figure out)
Overprotected (If I had a Britney Top 10, this track would definitely be included, I never got sick of it)
Lonely (listening the first time, it's good)
I'm Not A Girl, Not Yet A Woman (Britney's voice is not meant for singing, but pop sing/talk. She gets away with it in this song, because it has a decent melody that's easy to sing along)
Boys (I like this song and at the same time not, I think I like the remix better with Pharrell)
I Love Rock & Roll (Another great updated cover, I think this is her last cover)
Bombastic Love (What exactly is "bombastic"? I don't know, but it makes good pop.)
What It's Like To Be Me (I had no idea that Britney did a song with her former boyfriend Justin Timberlake, He isn't even credited as such, but he clearly is singing with her throughout the song, the song actually sounds like it belongs on NSYNC's "Celebrity" album. Justin showcases his semi-impressive-Blake Lewis copying-beat boxing skills)

PS... Thanks to a friend, just found out what Bombastic means. Check It Out.

2 comments:

nicole said...

I didn't know Britney wrote all of her music. Did she?

Chism said...

Great review of her career. I feel as though you should write for Wikipedia! And in slave 4 you, Are you refering to when she sings, "Hum na nama naaah?"